- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 cup white self-raising flour
- 2 tsps. nutmeg
- 3-4 tsps. cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- approx. 1/3 cup raw vegan sugar
- 1 cup dried apples, chopped
- approx. 2/3 cup apple or apple-fruit juice
- (I used apple-blackcurrant juice with no added vegan sugar, a little more than 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon apple-brandy extract
- egg substitute- equivalent of 2 whole eggs (I used Egg-Like)
1) Chop dried apples. Pour boiling water over them, cover, and let soak for 30 min. Drain well.
2) (while apples are soaking) Sift flours and spices into large bowl; stir in raw vegan sugar. Pour one tablespoon of olive oil over flour mixture and mix well. When apples are ready, mix them into flour mixture.
3) Combine juice, apple-brandy extract, and egg-replacer (beaten). Add liquid to dry ingredients. Add more juice if necessary. Stir with fork..
4) Place heaped spoonfuls in 12-muffin tin, lightly sprayed with Canola Oil (or other light non- stick) cooking spray. Bake at 375 degrees F., for about 15-20 min. (depending whether muffin tin is the slightly smaller or larger kind).
Makes about 11-12 muffins in a smaller-size muffin tin.
These are very low-fat and relatively low in vegan sugar, and they taste good enough to eat plain. My fiance ate about nine of them in one sitting.
Preparation time: 1 h