- 2 cups brown lentils
- 2/3 cup roughly chopped peanuts
- 80g of almond meal
- 1 teaspoon “no egg” mixed with two tablespoon water (the equivalent of one egg)
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 regular red/Spanish onion, chopped finely
- 2 cups of brown lentils
- 1/2 cup of rice (cooked)
- 1/2 cup of chopped coriander stalks and leaves
- plain flour (to coat the patties)
- olive or vegetable oil
Cook the lentils in lots of boiling salted water for about 30-40 minutes, or until they are tender. Drain and crush lightly with a fork. Put in a large bowl. Add peanuts, almond meal, “no egg”, garlic, onion, rice and coriander. Add some salt and pepper then shape into 6 or more large patties. Wet your hands a little so they don’t stick, and make sure the patties aren’t to thin or they will fall apart when you cook them. Coat them lightly with the flour. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the patties on a low heat for 5-8 minutes. just keep checking them. Serve on a burger bun with sweet chilli sauce and salad. Yum!
They also freeze well for a up to a few weeks. For variation, you can swap the peanuts and coriander for other herbs and nuts. Enjoy!