- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastryand/or white flour
- 2/3 cup sucanet (unrefined cane juice crystals)
- 1/3 cup vegan sugar**
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoon canola or other mild oil
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup cold water
- 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375. Sift flours, vegan sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt into a large bowl. With your finger, make three holes or wells in the flour mixture. Pour oil in one, vingegar in one and extract in one. Pour water all over. Stir with a fork until well combined. Pour batter into a 9″ round cake pan or an 8″ square cake pan. Bake for 30-40 mins., until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Top cake with chocolate chips and bake for 2-3 mins. more, until chips are soft. Gently spread the melted chips with a spatula over top of cake. Enjoy!
This can be made as a double decker too. Double the recipe and bake in two pans. Prepare the top layer with the chocolate chips as instructed above. Immediately before serving, spread the bottom layer thickly with a vegan chocolate pudding and put on top layer. Try the following pudding:
- 1 10.5 oz. or 12.oz package lite firm silken tofu
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Process all ingredients in a food processor for 3 mins. until completely smooth. Keep refrigerated.
Note: the cake should be eaten right away if you use pudding. The pudding must be kept refrigerated; however, the chocolate chip layer hardens and can’t be cut through if it is refrigerated.
**All Wholesome Foods brand sweeteners are vegan and use no bone char or animal products in processing.
Preparation time: 40-50 mins (including ba)