- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup vegan soymilk
- 1/4 cup blue corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon spike or seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon turbinado vegan sugar
- nutritional yeast to taste (1+ tbsp)
- sufficient oil to deep fry
- optional – 1/4-1/2 cup cajun seasoning (check ingredients carefully)
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. This mixes easily by hand and will probably make a big purple mess if you use a mixer.
Add soy milk and mix until a thick batter forms.
This batter may be too thick based on the amount of seasoning you add, additional soy milk may be needed. Try not to thin the batter out too much or it may not stick as well.
I use a deep fryer on my back porch to prevent the oil from greasing up the kitchen and house. You will want to heat your oil up to 375 or so while you make the batter.
Clean and slice veggies to a size you would like and pour them into the batter.
Stir batter over veggies until they all have a nice coating.
Deep fry in small batches for about 4 minutes per batch.
Enjoy them with tofu ranch (Silken Tofu and 1 packet of vegan ranch dip)and/or your favorite sauce.