- 1/2 cup or 100g approximate mixed beans – adzuki, lentils, split peas, peas
- 1 large carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons cooked hulled barley (not pearl barley)
- 5 teaspoons vegetable broth powder or half cube veggie bouillon
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic, slightly crushed
- 1 white onion
- 1 pinch salt,
- freshly ground black peppercorns
Soak mixed beans overnight. Throw out soaking water, rinse beans. Place in pot half full with fresh water. Add the pinch of salt, bring to boil, then simmer.
Add the other ingredients, and simmer all ingredients with the lid on till carrots and beans are soft and tender.
Makes a lovely hearty filling soup.
Add corn to the pot too if desired.
This can be served on its own as a soup or over rice.
**To make the soup into a veggie pie filling, add 1 tablespoon corn flour to the cooking mixture. Stir well to get rid of lumps.