- 1 cup textured soy protein (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped or grated carrot
- 1 cup fresh vegan bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon sweet bazil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 3/4 cup vegan soymilk
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Use large ice cream scoop to measure out 6 patties, or divide mixture into six equal portions. Fry, or place on Pam sprayed baking sheet, bake at 350 degrees 20-30 minutes, turning once. Be careful not to over-bake, since it will make the burgers dry.
These may be brushed with BBQ sauce 5 minutes before removing from oven. Serve on a whole wheat bun with Almond Mayonnaise and all the trimmings, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, etc.
or- double the recipe, make 1/2 into patties, the other 1/2 into meatballs. Use your hands or a 1 ounce ice cream type scoop to form meatballs and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with spaghetti sauce and pasta.