- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans red beans drained
- 1 good shake of red pepper flakes
- vegan seasoning salt for taste (three shakes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 shakes of dried oregano leaves
- 1 can of water
- pile of cooked rice
Heat large skillet on medium heat until hot. Melt oil/vegan butter in skillet.
Add all veggies except garlic. Stir occasionally. Add garlic about 5 minutes later, when the onion is translucent (since garlic burns so easily and turns bitter).
One minute later add the beans and rest of the ingredients except for rice. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low to simmer, loosely covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to lose some of the liquid, while softening the beans and blending the flavors. Add 1/2 can more water if beans start to dry out. Add one more little shake of oregano during the last minute. Discard bay leaf.
Serve over rice.