- 1 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup diced green or red pepper
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 tbl. chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can tomatoes (I used stewed tomatoes)
- 1 can (19 oz) black beans or equivalent amount cooked from scratch
- 1/c cup water
- 1 tbl seeded and minced Jalapeno pepper, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup rice (basmati is good)
- Salt to taste
Saute veggies in a little water until they are golden, about 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 30 minutes or longer.
Combine spices in a skillet and heat over low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, rice,and salt. Bring to boil, and cook until rice is done (15 minutes for white, about 40 minutes for brown). Serve beans over rice, with some chopped cilantro and yogurt optional.
This recipe was based on a recipe in last weekend’s Philadelphia Inquirer.