- 1 big package frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 big package frozen choppped collard greens, or a big bunch of fresh chopped greens
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 4-6 cups water
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- tabasco sauce
This is a Southern staple, without the bacon.
Put the black-eyed peas and water in a big pot, bring to the boil and simmer 20-25 minutes. Add chopped collard greens, garlic and seasonings, except tabasco, and simmer for at least 30 minutes, or until peas are soft and greens are cooked well. You can simmer this quite a long time without really overcooking. Add more water if necessary.
Spoon into a bowl and top with tabasco sauce. Good with cornbread.
Serves: a bunch
Preparation time: 1