- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 diced onion
- 2-3 diced or crushed garlic cloves
- 1/2 peeled and chopped ginger root
- 1/2 can of chopped tomatos
- 2 tsps curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4-5 tablespoon cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat water in pot until boiling. Add lentils and boil for one minute. Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer lentils until they resemble a thick paste. While lentils are simmering, heat oil in frying pan. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Fry until soft. Add curry, chili, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, saute for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatos and saute for another 3-5 minutes. Add fried spice mixture into lentil paste, stir and cook an additional 15-20 minutes. Serve as is or over basmati rice.
*Vegetable stock can be added to boiling water for additional taste.