- 12 oz. package frozen spinach (larger or smaller is ok)
- 12 oz. package firm or extra firm tofu (larger or smaller is ok)
- about an inch of ginger, chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 2 scallions, chopped finely
- A dash of soy sauce
- A dash of chili oil
- 1 package of square wonton skins (these usually come 72 in a package. If you have extra
- left, they freeze very well for the next time!!)
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of seasoned vegan rice wine vinegar
- Chopped scallions or lemongrass, for garnish of the sauce
First, make the wonton inside:
Thaw the spinach, squeezing all the extra water out. Mash the spinach, tofu, garlic, ginger, dash of soy sauce, chili oil, and finely chopped scallions together with your hands (it’s fun). Taste and season with more chili, garlic, ginger, whatever you feel it needs. Put the mixture aside for a while while you make your dipping sauce.
Mix the 1/4 cup of soy sauce and seasoned vegan rice wine vinegar together, and then top with either chopped scallions or lemongrass. Put this in the fridge to chill and get all yummy while you stuff the wontons.
To stuff the wontons:
Take a teaspoonfull of the filling and tuck it into the wonton skin. Fold the skin into a triangle and seal. If it doesn’t seal well, try moistening the edges with a little bit of water. Set these onto a tray dusted with cornstarch.
To cook the wontons:
You can either deep fry the wontons until they are crispy in a good hot oil or cook them like potstickers. To cook them like potstickers, it takes a few more ingredients. Some vegan Worcestershire sauce (make sure you get the ones with no anchovies), some orange zest, and a little more chili oil. Mix these to your liking in a bowl with some water so you have about 1 1/2 cups. Heat a bit of oil in a non stick pan and put the wontons in. Fry them till they are golden on one side, then flip. When they have all been browned on one side, pour on the saved liquid. Cover quickly to get all that good steam in. Steam for a bit, then take the cover off and let them absorb most of the sauce. Serve with the yummy dipping sauce you prepared earlier.
Serves: as many as you want to eat ;)
Preparation time: about 1 hour?