- 1-1 1/2 cups chunk textured soy protein and hot water for soaking
- 1/4 teaspoon kombu dashi
- 2 tablespoon KAL nutritional yeast
- 2 14-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 small can chopped green chilis
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon flour
- dash or two of tamari, if it needs more flavor
Soak textured soy protein in hot water with kombu and yeast. You can add enough water to cover and then include the soaking water in in the mixture below.
Chop onion and saute in oil. You want them to sweat and soften, becoming clear. Add the flour and stir well. Should be paste like. Add tomatoes and one full can of water. Add chilis. If it is a bit too thick, add some more water, a little at a time, till it is as thick as you like. Simmer till hot through.
Use this to smother your favorite burrito or enchilada. I like to eat this as a soup with corn chips, a flour tortilla or just plain…plain!