- 1 large eggplant or equivalent
- 1 medium onion, 1 leek
- 5 or 6 cloves of garlic (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 vegan gravy packet (can substitute 1/8 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- bunch of fresh green beans
- sun dried tomatoes (could also use fresh or dried fancy mushrooms or good black olives)
- 1/2 a vegan beer or a glass of vegan wine (or both!)
- 1 vegan bouillon cube
- bunch of sage or other appropriate fresh herbs
- about 3 cups of semolina macaroni
- nutritional yeast and vegan parmesan
Chop up the eggplant, onion, leek and garlic and cook on medium/low. Heat with half the olive oil for an hour or more.
Add green beans, herbs, spices, sun dried tomatoes, beer/wine, remaining olive oil, gravy etc. Boil vigorously until alcohol is cooked out (ten minutes).
Lower heat and continue cooking until beans are done (I like everything to be overcooked in this dish).
Add al dente macaroni and some of the pasta water. Simmer a few minutes to allow the noodles to absorb flavors, and continue cooking.
Finish with a little salt, pepper, vegan parmesan and nutritional yeast (hot pepper flakes are also good).