- 3 tablespoon olive oil (only the finest will do)
- 1 chopped onion (yellow or red)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 cup lentils (I like using reds because they smush more and cook faster but brown taste great too)
- 1 cup brown rice
- steamed chard or
- fresh salad greens
- salt (even if you never use salt – this an important authentic Arabian ingredient)
(Enjedra is phonetic spelling – I’ve only heard it spoken!)
Heat olive oil, add onion and cumin seed. Cook until onions are really delicious looking -nearly carmelized – about 10 minutes.
Add washed lentils (don’t be lazy about washing) and rice and 2 cups of water (2 1/2 cups if you’re using brown lentils). Cover and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and let cook til fluffy, about 30 minutes (maybe 45 for brown lentils) and all water has been absorbed.
Serve over greens with a pinch of salt. Arabian soul food… ah!