- 1 16-ounce package frozen gumbo vegetables (or mix together a comparable quantity of frozen okra, bell peppers, celery, and onions)
- 12 ounces fat-free tomato sauce (not spaghetti sauce, as the seasoning would be wrong)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (if you use salt, as we do)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground dried ancho chiles (substitute a good chile powder)
- 2 hefty squirts veggie worcestorshire sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed or minced (we keep a bag of peeled garlic cloves in the freezer, extremely convenient–we peeled them ourselves, though–amazingly, a frozen clove presses quite nicely)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
We made this up, and have gradually been perfecting it.
Mix together all ingredients and microwave or simmer on the stovetop until the okra is tender: between 5 and 15 minutes. Serve over rice to soak up the sauce. Serves 3-4.