- 2 1/2 cups washed chickpeas
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- oil for frying
Soak chickpeas overnight in 10 cups hot water and baking soda. Drain. Grind in a blender or food processor until fine.
Add spices and flour.If mixture is too dry, add a few drops of water.
Make small balls about 1 1/4 ” (3 cm) in diameter.Place on waxed paper or a greased baking sheet.
Heat the oil and deep fry a few balls at a time for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.Drain on a paper towel. Keep balls warm.
Makes 60-70 felafel (or falafel) balls.
To serve: Stuff 6 balls in a fresh vegan pita bread together with humus, tehina, fresh vegetable salad and hot pepper sauce. Eat warm.