- 1 package 15-Bean soup mix (or 1 pound of mixed dry beans); toss
- out any ‘flavoring’ pkt.
- 1 chopped onion
- 1-2 cloves chopped garlic if desired, or to taste
- 1 cup other chopped vegetables if desired (celery,
- 1/4 cup miso (white or red, a bit less if using stronger versions)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed if possible
- OR instead of lemon/miso mix, use 1/4 cup dry sherry and 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 15-ounce can of stewed tomatoes, chopped, and juice
- 4-5 cups waterr
- fresh pepper to taste
Soak beans overnight, or quick-soak on stove by simmering for 20 minutes, and letting stand, covered, for 20 minutes. Drain and add 4-5 cups water (for a thicker soup; for thinner soup, add more water). Add chopped onion, garlic, other vegetables except canned tomatoes. Add miso & lemon (or miso and sherry). Bring to boil. Turn down heat to simmer, add canned tomatoes, and simmer one hour, stirring occasionally so beans don’t stick; add additional water as needed. This recipe freezes well and can be adapted to slow cooker techniques. It’s better, like many soups, the second day, and is excellent served with hearty whole-grain vegan bread, a crisp green salad, and if you like, a good vegan red wine. Enjoy.