- 1 medium onion – coarsely chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms – quartered
- 6 japanesse eggplants – cut in cubes
- 3/4 HEAD of garlic – crushed or chopped fine
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon dried bazil or 1/4 cup fresh chopped
- salt and pepper to taste.
Japanese eggplants are sweeter in my opinion. If you you regular eggplant, you may want to salt and drain for a couple of hours.
In a large heavy bottomed pan (or dutch oven), sautee (in water or veggie stock) onions over medium heat until soft and sweet. Add mushrooms, eggplant, garlic and water. Keep on med – high heat stiring occationally until the water is boiling (about 2 min). Turn down heat to a simmer and cover about 1/2 hour or until eggplant is done and very soft (regular eggplant may take a bit longer). Add basil, salt and pepper to taste. Reheat when ready to serve.
If you *want* to add tomatoes, 6-8 plum tomatoes would be go