- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup brown vegan sugar (not packed)
- 1/2 cup vegan soymilk (or any vegan milk) mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rum or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour + 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 cup wonderslim, applesauce, prune puree, or oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, almond, or lemon extract or a little of each.
- 1 can peaches in juice
This is easier than the list seems. Really good. Serve warm. Try varying this recipe by changing the fruit or flavoring. 1/4 cup good cocoa and reducing the flour by two tablespoons makes a chocolate upside down cake.
Stir margarine and brown vegan sugar together in saucepan over medium heat until glossy, melted and thick, slightly bubbly but don’t burn! Slowly stir in soymilk/cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce is glossy and thick. Remove from heat and add vanilla and rum to taste.
Spread caramel in bottom of 8 x 8 baking pan. Reserving juice, drain peaches and set halves on top of caramel.
Add water to reserved peach juice to = 1 cup.
Stir flour, vegan sugar, soda, salt, and any desired spices (i.e. cinnamon, allspice, ginger try 1/4 teaspoon each) together. Make a well in center and add vinegar, wonderslim, flavorings and reserved peach juice/ water combo. Stir until smooth.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. (Check it after 30-35).
When done, run a knife around edges to loosen, place serving platter over top, and holding both dishes together, invert cake.