- 14 cups water
- 2 cups diced onions
- 4 cups thinly sliced green onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley-minced
- 2 tablespoons baby lima beans or other tiny white beans
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of ajuki beans
- 1/3 cup green split peas
- 1/3 cup yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon powdered vegetable broth
Bring water to a boil in a large soup pot. Add the ingredients in the order given.
Return soup to a boil, skimming off any foam or scum that comes to the surface with a large spoon. (Repeat this process until no more forms) Cover and reduce heat to medium low.
Simmer soup for 2 1/2 hours, stirring periodically to ensure the barley doesn’t stick. At the end of cooking, add salt and pepper to taste.