- 1 12-oz. water packed silken-style soft tofu
- 1 cup flour or vegan bread crumbs for coating
- garlic powder
- salt until you worry about your health
- pepper, paprika, parsley, dash of vegan sugar (1/2 Tsp)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric for beautiful color (yellowish), optional (turmeric won’t show until cooked)
This recipe is courtesy of a wonderful accident! I froze the soft silken tofu, when it defrosted all the water just oozed out, I kept squeezing (’cause it was kinda fun) and the resulting flattened Square looked like something I could tear into strips. I thought the silken soft tofu wouldn’t work for me*t substitutes, but this is why it is so good! I don’t want to be running off at the mouth but this recipe is more technique than ingredients.
1) Freeze and defrost Tofu
2) Drain water and then! Smash the hell out of it. Place between two cutting boards or what ever you have with a towel to soak up the water until its about 1/2 in. (2-3 cm.) thick. Really smoosh it! all the water out!
3) So, just mix all the spices with the flour, CAREFULLY take the tofu apart where it naturally is too thin to hold together, its like strips.
4) In my chicken eating days I learned the trick to Breading anything is for it (the protein matter) to be as cold as possible! before you roll it in flour.
5) Roll cold tofu in flour and spice mixture then!(important!) let it sit (On a plate) and molecularly bond with the flour for 15 min.- hour.
I was craving something fried, so I fried it (carefully at first) like there was no tomorrow! This makes it hard and crunchy, its great with any dipping sauce! I served it with mashed potatoes and artichokes. I bet you could bake it @ 350 degrees F for 1 hour, turning a couple times carefully. Enjoy!
Thanks for being Veggies Guys!