- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 6-7 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1/4 cup oil plus oil for deep frying
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 5 russet potatoes, cooked till tender and peel
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup cooked tender carrots
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
Dough- Mix flour and salt and rub in shortening, as if you were making pie dough. Pour 5-6 tablespoons cold water and mix until it becomes kneadable. If needed, add the rest of the water. Knead for about 10 minutes until silky smooth, let rest for 1/2 hour.
Filling- Heat oil and add onions, ginger and coriander. Saut� just until onions start to brown. Softly mash potatoes so that there are still some pieces. Sit in carrots, peas, and potatoes into onions and heat slightly.
Forming & Frying- Form 6 inch circles with dough and place filling into center. Moisten edges and seal in a crescent shape. Let dry uncovered for about a 1/2 hour. Heat the oil to 350 degrees and fry samosas in small batches until browned and heated through.