- 4-6 cloves garlic (to taste), crushed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup vegan cooking wine
- 16 oz can dark red kidney beans
- 2 large potatoes
- 20 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup spanish olives
- salt, pepper, oregano, any other spices that look good
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
Makes 5 big helpings.
Saute garlic, onions, peppers, and mushrooms in vegan wine until onions start to become clear. Add the tomatoes and kidney beans (don’t drain them…throw it all in there) and potatoes. Then add the olives. If you like less, that’s ok. Simmer on low heat for an hour. Stir often and taste for spices. Serve over rice with some whole wheat pitas for dunking. Add leftover rice to the stew and refrigerate, it’s even better the next day.