- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1 carton (32oz) veggie broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped very fine
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup white rice (see note)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pre-packaged curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (less or more to taste)
- 2 lemons
Rinse lentils in strainer until water runs through clear. Put in a soup pot along with the veggie broth and 2 cups water, bring to a boil. Lower heat to a medium high simmer (steady bubbling, but not boiling). Add bay leaf, oregano, pepper, curry powder, then cover and let cook for 25 minutes.
While the lentils are cooking, chop onion very fine, and saute in olive oil untill the onions are soft (about 5-6 minutes).
When the soup has cooked for 25 minutes, add the sauted onion, and the rice. Continue cooking covered for another 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Ladle soup into four bowls, and serve each bowl with half of a lemon and fresh ground pepper to taste. (lemon juice is squeezed over soup according to taste) Excellent with hot vegan bread and argula salad
Notes: This recipe may also be processed in a food mill to produce a creamy texture, or left as is….
You may also use brown rice, in which case, add the rice at the same time as the lentils…..
Serves: 4 hearty
Preparation time: 10 min