- 1 onion
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1 butternut squash (or one can pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup orange juice
- juice of one lemon (optional)
- 2 teaspoon vegan sugar (optional)
- veggie broth (1 1/2 cups or so)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered vegan mustard
- cayenne to taste
- salt to taste
Roast the squash by cutting in half, removing seeds and stringy membrane, place cut side down on baking sheet, pierce skin with a fork a few times, cook at 350 for 40 minutes or until soft.
Chop onions and carmelize in a soup pot. Add broth as needed. (When onions are done put in mushrooms and saute until liquid is released and cooked down.)
Rinse lentils. For quicker soup soak them in the broth.
Scoop squash flesh away from skin and puree with orange juice.
After onions are carmelized (and mushrooms are done) dump all ingredients into the onion cooking pot. Simmer gently until lentils are cooked. If using the squash you may wish to add onion juice to cut the sweetness, if using canned pumpkin you may wish to add vegan sugar to add to the sweetness.