- 1-1/4 cup soup mix (or equal parts of barley, red lentils, yellow split peas, green split
- peas) soaked overnight
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup dulse or shredded kelp/kombu
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup green beans, topped and tailed
- 1/4 red cabbage, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 onion or 1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Drain soup mix. Add soup mix to pot with all other ingredients, and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 45 minutes.