- vegan bread
- mayo and/or vegan mustard
- lettuce, tomato, onion, soy cheese, or other sandwich trimmings
- raw extra-firm tofu
- 2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoon hot sauce (like Louisiana, etc.)
- pinch of rosemary
- pinch of thyme
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Make the marinade. Mix the liquid smoke, soy sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, sesame oil, and herbs in a small bowl.
2. Cut the tofu into half-inch thick slices–allow two slices per person. Marinate each slice of tofu individually by soaking each side in the marinade for several minutes.
3. Heat a frying pan lightly coated with oil over medium-high heat.
4. Gently place each slice of tofu in the frying pan. Pour any remaining marinade over the tofu slices. Fry on one side for 5 minutes. Then flip them over and fry on the other side for 5 minutes. Remove the slices of tofu from the pan.
5. While the tofu cooks, slice the vegan bread, spread with mayo or mustard, and add whatever condiments you want.
6. Put the tofu on top of the rest of the sandwich.
I like this sandwich best open-faced, but it is a wee bit messy that way. This recipe also makes a big sticky mess out of your frying pan, but it will clean off with a lot of scrubbing…besides, it’s so good it’s worth it.