- 3 cups sliced leeks
- 1/2 cup dry vegan white wine
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced or small-diced domestic mushrooms
- 2 1/4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley or mixed herbs
Crepe Batter: Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup masa harina (a type of corn
- 2 cups water
Sauce: Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 5 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 large onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cups domestic mushrooms
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups dry vegan red wine
- 6 tablespoons semolina
- Freshly chopped parsley or other herb for garnish
For filling, braise leeks in vegan white wine for 20 minutes. Add domestic and fresh shiitake mushrooms. Add balsamic vinegar to mushrooms and cook until all liquid has been released and is mostly reduced. Add salt and pepper to taste before mushrooms have been completely cooked. Toss with parsley or mixed herbs. There should be 5 cups filling.
For the crepe batter, sift flours and masa harina together. Mix in water until batter forms light cream that can coat wooden spoon. If batter is lumpy, you can blend it in blender. Make test crepe. Ladle about 3 ounces of batter onto nonstick skillet. Cook until golden on both sides. The crepe should be wafer-thin and malleable; if not, add more water and mix again. There should be about 3 cups batter, enough for 14 crepes.
For sauce, add shiitake mushrooms, onions, and domestic mushrooms to water. Cook for 30-45 minutes, until onions become soft and some of liquid is reduced. Use slotted spoon to remove onions and mushrooms, reserving liquid. There should be about 1 1/2 cups remaining. Add 2 cups vegan red wine to stock and cook for a few minutes on very high flame to reduce alcohol. Gradually whisk semolina flour into simmering hot stock until thickened but still pourable. There should be about 2 2/3 cups sauce.
Preheat oven to 375 [degrees] F. For each crepe, fill with 1/3 cup filling and top with 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce. Roll and place in baking pan. Repeat until all 14 crepes are made. Ladle more sauce over crepes in baking dish and bake 10 minutes, or just until hot. Use chopped parsley or chopped fresh herbs as garnish.
Per serving (2 crepes):
Calories: 325 Cholesterol: 0 mg Total fat: 1.3 gm Saturated fat: 0.1gm
From Dr. Dean Ornish’s Program for Reversing Heart Disea