- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels (drain if canned)
- 2 cups kidney beans (drain & rinse if canned)
- 1 cup of any or all of these: chopped carrots, chopped potatoes, green beans, chick peas, cauliflower, parsnips, celery – use your imagination!
- 1/2 to 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup textured soy protein
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon each: rosemary, thyme, oregano, tarragon
- 2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
I make this soup about once a week during the cold months when the produce selection here is not so great. The nutrition packed into this super hardy soup is hard to beat! Get out your big soup pot!
Bring Vegetable Stock to a boil in large soup/stock pot. Stir in Brown Rice, and turn heat to med / med-high (you’re going for a simmer / slow boil). Stir in tomatoes (dump juice in along with them), corn, kidney beans, and the veggies you’ve chosen (don’t be stingy!). Now stir in the nutritional ueast, and textured soy protein. Evaluate the amount of veg. stock in the soup – if you want it to be thinner add some water (1 Cup at a time). The soup will thicken overnight.
Now the fun part! Throw in the Bay Leaves. Peel and mince / press the garlic and stir in. Add the dry spices, and let simmer for a few minutes – then taste broth add more spices if it needs some more oomph. You may need to add salt – if so, do it slowly, trying a little broth after each addition. Soup is ready when rice and any root veg. chunks you may have added are fully cooked. Hope you enjoy!