- Greens (Spinach or other greens)
- Onions – cut into large strips
- Moong dhal (split de-husked green gram)
- Garlic-ginger paste
- Madras curry paste (available in Indian groceries)
- Green chillies (serrano peppers) – cut into thin strips
- Cumin seeds
- Garam masala
- Cilantro (coriander leaves)
PS: I don’t indicate suggested portions here – you may wish to experiment with the the basic recipe and arrive at proportions that suit your taste.
1. Heat oil and lightly fry cumin, garlic-ginger paste and green chillies. Add onions and saute until onions turn light brown. Add garama masala and fry for a few minutes more.
2. Add to the above finely diced (or pureed) tomatoes and curry paste, and cook until you get a smooth gravy.
3. Pressure cook moong beans and greens, add to the gravy and cook for a short while.
4. Garnish with cumin seeds lightly sauteed in butter and a few sprigs of cilantro leaves.
This dish can be served with naan (roti/chappathi) or with rice.