- 4 med potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 green chillies (more if you like)
- 1 cubic inch ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- oil to deep fry
1. Mix flour, red chilli powder and 1/2 tsp of salt in water to make a batter. Batter should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon thickly.
1. Boil potatoes well in water.
2. Peel off skin and mash potatoes.
3. Grind together green chillies and ginger to a fine paste.
4. Add peas, salt , ground paste, cilantro, asofoetida to the potatoes and mash together.
Put it all together:
1. Make balls of the potatoes mixture, 1 inch in diameter.
2. Heat oil enogh to deep fry.
3. Drop a bit of flour batter into the oil to check if it hot enough. If the batter rises up to the surface immedidately with a sizzle, you are good to go.
4. Dip each potato ball into batter, coating it smoothly with a thin layer of batter and fry till golden brown.
5. Serve immdeiatly after draining excess oil from the potato balls.
6. Tomato ketchup is a good accompaniment.