* Edwin observed that his camera did not function properly in very cold weather.
* Does your brain function best in the morning, afternoon, or night? How do you know?
* Something that inflences the result of something else
* People have diffrent ideas about the most important factors in providing a good education.
* What are some factors that allow a team to win?
* Some think schools should teach students to analyze critically what they see, hear, and read.
* How is analyzing a short story diffrent from just reading it?
* Aftab structured his presentation so that there would be time for questions at the end.
* When there is no school, how do you structure your day so that you don’t get bored?
* The way that parts of something relate to each other and work together
* They believe that this will help students understand the structure of our democratic government.
* How does the structure of a cheetah’s body help it to run fast?
* Others interpret the main role of school as one of preparing students to join the workforce.
* When a person is quiet or silent, how might you interpret this behavior?
* Each of the three branches of government has a diffrent function.
* Brittany factored the weather into her beach day plans.
* What do you factor into your decision to buy new clothes? I factor __________ (price, style, need) into my decision to buy new clothes.
* New school lunch guidelines include more fruits and vegetables.
* What are some important guidelines for behavior at school?
* Those under the age of 21 are not considered mature enough to buy alcohol or rent a car.
* How can middle school students show that they are mature?
* The word “adult” is ambiguous because the assignment of adult status changes according to the situation.
* Why is it ambiguous to tell someone to come over “around dinner time”? due (to) (preposition) because of; caused by
* Due to their immaturity, twelve-year-olds are not allowed to drive.
* Should students be barred from participating in sports due to low grades?
* In certain places, young people are considered adults only after completing a rite of passage to mark their change of status.
* Would having a female president improve the status of women in the United States?
* The complexity of English spelling makes it diffilt for some people to learn.
* Which task has more complexity: completing a math assignment or writing a rap song? Why?
* The ability to jump high is an important element of playing basketball.
* What elements are important to being a great athlete?
* Eating together at Thanksgiving has become an important tradition for Gary’s family.
* What new traditions would you like to start?
* Shanaya proved how resourceful she could be when she made a necklace with her father’s old tools.
* How are animals that live in the city (squirrels, birds, etc.) resourceful?
* culture (noun) a way of life; a group of people who share a particular way of life
* The culture in one region of India can be very diffrent from the culture in another region: People can speak diffrent languages and eat diffrent foods even though they live in the same country.
* Turn and Talk: Which country would you like to visit to experience a new culture? Explain.
* Your genes contain information about your own unique design.
* If you could create the design for a new park in your neighborhood, what would you include?
* Genes help determine many of your features, such as your eye color and height.
* What is one feature of a smartphone that you think is necessary or important?
* Hand washing has had an enormous impact on the prevention of disease.
* Who has had a greater impact on your personality: your family or your friends?
* They believe that cloning has the potential to help people with serious illnesses.
* Do you think that computers have the potential to eliminate books?
* Scientists transfer some of an adult organism’s genes to a new egg.
* Why is it important to transfer photos from your phone to a computer or hard drive?
* Companies try to attract potential customers with catchy slogans and bright colors.
* What do you think are some potential problems with cloning?
* Many people worry about how cloning will impact our lives.
* What is something you can do every morning to positively impact your day?
* Jackson’s fial project featured a live performance of Chief Joseph’s “Surrender” speech.
* Should reality television shows feature children? Why or why not?
* For the Future Inventors competition, Jabari designed an unbreakable smartphone screen.
* Do you think it’s possible to design a perfect school? Why or why not?
* Practicing my violin each night had a considerable effct on how well I played in the spring concert.
* Think of an activity you could do for thirty minutes a day to make a considerable diffrence in your health.
* Our class raised $300 and gave it to the Red Cross to contribute to the relief effrts in Haiti after the earthquake.
* How can each member of a community contribute to keeping it clean?
* Raphael demonstrated how responsible he was by cleaning his room, doing all of his homework, and taking out the trash.
* Name some ways animals demonstrate that they feel threatened.
* Mr. Jones said that “having a bad hair day” was not a valid excuse for Kevin to wear his hat in class.
* Can you think of a valid reason for the U.S. to go to war with another country?
* Ms. El-Amin told Jalisa that she had done suffient revising and could begin the fial draft of her essay.
* Does your school offr a suffient range of extracurricular activities? Explain.
* Why do we rely on animals when we test our products for safety?
* Whom do you rely on for advice when you are facing a diffilt problem?
* If animal testing is designed to protect humans, then why do so many people react negatively to it?
* How would you react if you found out that an animal you knew was being mistreated?
* Companies that use alternative methods of testing products advertise to people who avoid products tested on animals.
* Instead of arguing, what are some alternative ways of solving a disagreement?
* Dancing and playing team sports are alternatives to exercising in a gym.
* What are some alternatives to taking medicine when you have a headache?
* Some people argue that helping humans does not justify animal testing.
* Is it possible to justify copying someone else’s homework?
* Only a small proportion of medical researchers inflct pain or harm on animals.
* What proportion of your classmates have you known for more than two years?
* The community tried to promote the use of bicycles by adding bike lanes to many streets.
* George attributes his basketball skills to the hours he spends playing HORSE with his older brother.
* Think of something that you are good at. To what or to whom do you attribute your success?
* One attribute of a successful swimmer is the discipline to practice every day.
* What is a typical attribute of a good student?
* After a tornado, sometimes people choose to relocate rather than rebuild.
* If you were given the opportunity to relocate anywhere in the world, where would you move and why?
* According to popular statistics, the average person consumes four sodas a day.
* Do you think that statistics about obesity make people more likely to watch what they eat?
* Last year the sixth grade art class project was to paint a new mural on the schoolyard’s wall.
* hat project around your school would you like your class to be involved in?
* Scientists project that temperatures will keep rising if we continue to ignore the impact of our activities.
* Based on your current interests, what do you project you will be doing when you’re 20 years old?
* The stars interested Juliet, so it was no surprise that she wished to attend Space Camp.
* Why does your dream career interest you?
* I made an adjustment to my eating habits by replacing soda with water, and now I have more energy.
* What adjustments can you make to have healthier eating habits?
* Many school offials want to reduce skin exposure.
* Where can you go to get exposure to art from around the world?
* Our school is transitioning from textbooks to iPads.
* Why do you think it’s so hard for soldiers to transition from military to civilian life?
* The transition from living with my mother to living with my father has been diffilt, but it’s getting easier each day.
* Was the transition from fith to sixth grade easy or diffilt? Share a few details to support your opinion.
* Jabari used his phone to monitor how long it takes him to walk to school.
* Is it important for parents to monitor their children’s computer use? Why or why not?
* Siya decided to modify the look of her room with some new paint and a small rug.
* How would you like to modify the content of your social studies curriculum?
* A fundamental part of being able to read well is knowing a lot of vocabulary words.
* Sara says that reading is a fundamental skill. Give some evidence to support her claim.
* There is no substitute for a good night’s sleep in preparing for a test.
* With your partner, think of some healthy substitutes for sugary sodas.
* Don’t compound the problem of forgetting your homework by being rude to your teacher.
* Can telling the truth ever compound a problem?
* Pharmacists often combine diffrent chemicals to make compounds for medicine.
* What is the diffrence between an element and a chemical compound?
* Even though Terry mistakenly substituted oil for butter in the brownie recipe, the brownies still turned out fie.
* What ingredients could you substitute for chocolate chips in a pancake recipe?
* Mussa was conflcted about whether to save his birthday money for a trip to Washington, D.C., or spend it on a new Xbox game.
* Why might someone be conflcted about going to college?
* Taking steroids can alter the way your brain works. People who take steroids can become violent toward others for no reason.
* Name a few ways you would like to alter the room where you sleep.
* The school newspaper reporters were looking for a diversity of opinions, so they made sure to ask boys and girls from all grade levels.
* What is a topic among your friends for which there is a diversity of beliefs?
* The suspect was presumed guilty even before the stolen watch was found in his pocket.
* What do you presume to be the reason why students don’t go to school during the summer?
* Magicians rarely reveal their secrets to the audience.
* How can a person’s face or body language reveal that they are hiding something?
* During the Great Migration, which took place from 1910 to 1970, over six million African Americans moved from the rural South to Northern, Midwestern, and Western cities.
* What are some animals that have a yearly migration? Bonus points if you can say where they start and where they end up.
* Heather joined the school dance troupe to enhance her dance skills.
* Can you think of something that you could do to enhance the appearance of your school?
* My teacher fially acknowledged that my way of solving the math problem was just as good as hers.
* Talk about a time when you acknowledged that you made a mistake.
* There has been a higher incidence of type 2 diabetes among youth in recent years.
* What factors increase the incidence of diabetes in humans?
* Blood transports oxygen from the lungs to cells all over the body.
* What things do you regularly transport from school to home?
* The principal’s new initiative gives laptops to every student as a way to increase student achievement.
* Do you think initiatives to promote technology in the classroom help students do better in school?
* Yasmin incorporated more fruits and vegetables into her diet.
* How do you incorporate exercise into your daily activities?