- 1 equivalent egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon molasses(optional)
- 1/4 cup vegan sugar (brown, white, sugar sub.)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (heaping 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, all spice, pepper)
Sift cornmeal, flour(s), baking powder and spices in a large mixing bowl.
Beat egg substitute lightly in separate bowl. Whisk in pumpkin, vegan sugar, applesauce and molasses (if using).
Add liquids to dry mixture and blend batter gently until no traces of flour remain.
Pour batter into greased muffin pan, small glass pie pan, or pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes for muffins, or longer for pie and baking pans, until vegan cornbread is browned and has a slightly springy feel.
*this recipe was adjusted for 6000 ft. altitude. if you live lower less flour(about 1/4c) and more baking powder (1/2tsp) is recommended.
*nuts and hulled pumpkin seeds are great additions to this recipe
Serves: nine small muffins