If you are in tune with your body, there will be some subtle signs that it needs exercising. Here are four of the more common ones.

You gain weight:
We all know that exercising helps burn off excess calories, however, when we are lax about doing it or don’t do it at all, and don’t adjust our eating habit accordingly, we start to see the number on the scale increase. One way to get that number down again is to start exercising. Losing weight is a numbers game and 80% is controlled by the quantity and types of food we eat, but the remaining 20% comes from exercising.

You get winded easier:
Exercising increases both the heart and breathing rates, but when we stop exercising, certain health conditions can start developing. For example, if you haven’t exercised in a while, do you get winded easier going up a flight of stairs? Is it more of a struggle to get through the day now that it was when you were routinely exercising? If so, your body is telling you that your health is starting to deteriorate and it is time to hit the gym again and get your breathing and circulation systems back in shape.

You are not sleeping as well:
Regular physical activity not only helps you fall asleep quicker, but to stay asleep longer and get a better quality of sleep – the good REM kind. If you notice you are not sleeping as well now that you are not exercising like you were when you were hitting the gym regularly, it is your body’s way of telling you it is time to start again.

You are more stressed:
Exercise is one of the great stress reducers. If nothing has changed to add more stress in your life, but you seem to be more anxious that you were when you were regularly exercising, your mind is telling you to start hitting the gym again.

Excessive stress could also be the root cause of some of the other things you are experiencing due to a lack of exercise, like weight gain and insomnia. Plus, it can cause a whole host of other chronic health conditions if left unchecked like heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc.

And the risk for all of these conditions can be lowered just by going to the gym regularly and let the stress drain away from your body while working out.

If you start to experience any of these four signs, get back into the exercise habit. Not only will it improve you physically, but mentally too … in fact, probably more.