- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced (I use the vegan cheese grater ’cause I’m lazy)
- 2-3 tablespoons curry
- 1-2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 15 oz can of chick peas drained, keeping about 3 tablespoons liquid
- 1/2 small eggplant (aubergine – this is optional, I just had it) cut into small cubes
- couple of squirts or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, tamari or Braags
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- tiny bit of vegan sugar
- splash of soymilk (optional, but good)
Heat oil on medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and eggplant. Saute for 2 minutes. Add curry and tomato paste. Stir and simmer about 2 minutes. Add chick peas and 3 tablespoons liquid, soy sauce, paprika, nutritional yeast, and vegan sugar. Simmer 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add soy milk. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes more or until peas are softened and dish is hot. Add a couple of squirts of lemon juice at end. Serve over brown rice.
This produces a sorta-creamy and slightly (though not very) spicy masala and is pretty damned good for you. To make spicier, add in chopped peppers with the curry and tomato paste or throw in a few dashes of hot sauce (Thai chili sauce would be especially good).
Optional additions: You could also add in some greens (okra, spinach) or tofu to increase nutrients.
Preparation time: 15-