- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloved, minced
- 2 (15 oz) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-1/2 oz) can Rotele tomatoes (with jalapenos) can use diced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tbl tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (taste before adding, if using Rotele)
In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Saute the bell peppers, the onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, raisins, tomato paste, cumin, and cayenne (if using). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring as needed, until the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes.
This picadillo is excellent in vegan pita bread. Can also include lettuce and tomato as a topping.