- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion. peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 6 Carrots, peeled (optional) and chopped
- 2 turnips (not huge ones), peeled and chopped
- 2 Sweet potatoes (not huge ones), peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery (not including leaves), chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms, washed and chopped if large
- 4 cups vegetable broth (see above or use canned)
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley (approximate)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt, pepper to taste
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- Potatoes, peeled (optional) and roughly cubed
- vegan soymilk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Tapioca starch (or cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
Peel and/or scrub vegies as desired Chop everything from first list into bite sized pieces, crush garlic. Put all from first list in large pot along with herbs and vegetable broth. Bring to a low boil Simmer about 45 minutes (timing not critical, I find turnips bitter if not cooked long enough though). Can be left on simmer a long time.
Put potatoes in another large pot, cover with water, cook til soft (I forget timing on this). Drain.
When ready to eat: Mash drained potatoes and gradually add soy milk til consistency it as desired while reheating in original pot. Salt and pepper to taste.
Lift vegetables from stew with a slotted spoon. Bring broth to a boil. Stir 2 Tbsp of tapioca starch (or cornstarch) into 1/2 cup vegie broth until dissolved, gradually add to broth in pot while stirring and it should thicken to gravy-like consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve vegetables along with mashed potatoes and gravy poured all over everything. Sidedishes: steamed green vegies and cooked bea